Yext Privacy and Cookies Policy
(Effective Date: December 31, 2019)
We may provide additional information about our privacy practices at other points, for example, when we ask you to provide personal information in connection with a particular service, and where this will help us provide more relevant and timely information.
- Information that we collect about you
- Cookies and other tracking technology that we use
- Uses made of your personal information and our legal basis for processing
- Disclosures of your personal information
- Withdrawing consent or otherwise objecting to Yext’s direct marketing
- EEA data protection rights
- California privacy notice
1. INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
Customers and Website Users
Information Provided by You Upon Registration and/or Making a Purchase. When you register for an account on a Site and/or purchase a product or service from us, we collect information that allows us to identify you, such as:
- E-mail address
- Address (where entered as part of a “business/location scan”)
- ZIP/Postal Code
- Home Phone
- Mobile Phone
- Credit Card Number
- Billing Address
- Yext login details (username and password)
Information Provided When You Contact Us. We also collect personal information that you voluntarily provide to us when you contact us with a question or comment about our products and services, download our whitepapers or sign up for product demonstrations or events. Typically, this includes:
- E-mail address
- Organization Name
- Phone Number
- Information about your position
- Information about your interests and preferences
- Content of the communication
Passively Collected Information. When you access our Sites, we automatically collect (i) technical information about your device including your device’s internet protocol (IP) address, your browser type and version, time zone setting, and operating system and platform; and (ii) information about your visit, including the URL clickstream to, through and from our Sites (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, your account activity (when logged in), the content (and any ads) that you view or interact with, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page. Some of this information is collected using cookies and related technologies. See Section 2 for more detail.
Information Collected From Our Partners. We may partner with our third party resellers to receive information about you, such as name and contact information. This helps us to fulfill your service requests and/or to provide you with services that may be of interest to you.
Information Collected in Connection with our Review Services or other Services. Where our customers use our review service or other services, we compile statistical and other information related to the performance and operation of the relevant service and will use or share with our customers and prospective customers, aggregated information collected from reviewers or other users of our services for research and development purposes or to provide analytics, reports and benchmarking about our services (e.g. average location ratings or frequently used terms within the reviews). We also use such aggregated information for our own advertising and promotional purposes.
If you use our services to solicit reviews or otherwise process information about your customers, we will collect, on your behalf, the personal information and any other information provided about your customers (“End Users”). We will use the information provided by End Users to provide services to you. We have no direct relationship with End Users. You are responsible for ensuring that you have the appropriate consent for us to collect and process End Users’ information to provide our services. If you are an End User and believe you have received an email from us on behalf of one of our customers, please contact that company directly with any questions.
Partners, Publishers and other Service Providers
We will process certain contact information about individuals within organizations that we work with such as publishers, mailing houses, payment providers, IT hosting and maintenance providers, events companies and other service providers.
2. COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES THAT WE USE
- Beacons are small graphical images (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) that may be included on our Sites and in email communications and typically work in conjunction with cookies to identify our users, their devices and behaviour, type of email applications used, screen resolution in order to check if our communications have been opened and acted upon, and to provide content and ads that are more relevant to you.
- An embedded script is a programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Site, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your device from our web server or a third-party service provider, is active only while you are connected to the Site, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
- Local Shared Objects. Local shared objects (or Flash cookies) are pieces of data that websites which use Adobe Flash may store on a user’s computer or device. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our Sites or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity use local shared objects. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing local shared objects. In addition, you may manage Flash cookies by clicking here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
The above technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the Sites, services and products, tracking users’ movements around the Sites and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
The table below sets out the cookies we use on the Sites, their purpose, and how you may opt out of our use of these cookies.
Type of Cookies
|Required/Technical cookies||Required cookies enable you to navigate the Sites and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the Sites and using the Yext products and services.
Technical cookies can be grouped into session cookies, which allow you to navigate and use the Sites, and functionality cookies, as described below.
|Because required cookies are essential to operate the Sites and the Yext products, there is no option to opt out of these cookies.|
|Functionality cookies||Functionality cookies allow the Sites to remember information you have entered or choices you make (such as your username, language, or your region) and provide you with more personal features. These cookies also enable you to optimize your use of the Yext products after logging in. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customize.||To learn how to opt out of functionality cookies using your browser settings click here. Note that opting out may impact the functionality you receive when using the Sites.|
|If you wish to not have this information collected and used for targeted advertising, you may opt-out by clicking here for partners that participate in the TRUSTe opt-out tool (or if located in the European Union click here). If you wish to opt out from this type of advertising for companies that participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), you can do so by clicking here.
Please note that this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads. Yext adheres to the DAA’s Self-Regulatory Principles when we allow third parties to collect data on the Sites for such advertising.
To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here.
|Analytics cookies||Analytics cookies collect aggregate information on the number of visitors and the pattern of visits to the Sites and other sites over time for non-advertising purposes.||To manage and opt-out of analytics cookies based on Google Analytics solution click here.|
You can also change your cookie settings via your browser. For further information, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
The length of time a cookie will stay on your browsing device depends on whether it is a “persistent” or “session” cookie. Session cookies will only stay on your device until you stop browsing. Persistent cookies stay on your browsing device after you have finished browsing until they expire or are deleted.
3. USES MADE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND OUR LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING
Providing personal information is optional; however, in order to provide you with access to our services and other resources such as whitepapers and demos, providing certain personal information (e.g., contact information and name, log-in details) may be necessary in order to receive these services and resources. You may choose whether or not to receive electronic marketing communications from us and we will only send you such communications where we have the appropriate consents to do so (to the extent required by applicable law). For more information on your choices, please see Section 5 below.
We process personal information through electronic and manual means for the following purposes:
Customers and Website Users
To fulfill a contract or to take steps linked to a contract. This includes:
- to administer your access to your accounts;
- to process orders, provide our products and services, and send you service related communications;
- for customer support purposes including responding to your queries and investigating any complaints about the Sites.
As required to conduct our business and pursue our legitimate interests, in particular:
- to improve and personalize your experience with us and our Sites and to tailor content, advertisements and offers to you;
- to administer our Sites, conduct identity verification and other fraud detection activities;
- to send you information you have requested;
- to monitor, maintain and improve the performance of our Sites, analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our services, validate users and ensure their technological compatibility with users, and optimize our marketing efforts and measure the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns;
- for our own internal functions such as keeping our Sites secure, management and corporate reporting, internal research and analytics and to improve business efficacies;
- to create aggregate and statistical data (which cannot be used to identify you). For example, aggregate data may include data that describes the general demographics, usage or other characteristics of a Site’s users. We reserve the right to transfer and/or sell aggregate or group data about a Site’s users for lawful purposes.
Where you give us consent:
- Where you ask us to send marketing information via a medium where we need your consent under applicable law (for example email marketing in some countries). For more information about how to modify your preferences about marketing communications, please see Section 5;
- Where you give us consent to place cookies or similar technologies;
- On other occasions where we ask for your consent, for the purpose we explain at the time.
As required by law:
- In response to requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation.
Partners, Publishers and other Service Providers
We use contact information about individuals within other organizations that we work with in order to fulfill our contractual obligations or as required to conduct our business and pursue our legitimate interests including for our own internal functions such management, corporate reporting, and record keeping.
4. DISCLOSURES OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Service Providers. When we employ an affiliate or third-party to perform a function on our behalf, we provide it with the personal information that it needs to perform its specific function. These companies are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us. We use service providers for the purposes of delivering our products and services, managing your accounts, hosting, IT, security, support, billing, marketing, and communications.
Legal Requirements. We disclose personal information to government authorities or other third-parties if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) comply with a subpoena, court order or similar legal obligation, (b) protect and defend our rights or property, (c) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of any Site or the public, (d) protect against legal liability, (e) to investigate fraud or other unlawful activity or (f) or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
Business Transfers. As we develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event, including in bankruptcy, your personal information may be part of the transferred assets. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Sites of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
Publishers. If you have requested us to do so, we may provide personal information to third-party publishers that we work with. For example, if you have provided your name or a biography to be published on a third-party publisher’s website.
Third-Party Partners. We may share your personal information with selected third-party partners, including for their direct marketing purposes. We will obtain your prior consent for such a transfer where required by applicable law.
International Transfers of Personal Information. Your personal information is stored on servers in the US and is supported from the US. We may also transfer your personal information to our affiliates and other service providers who perform functions on our behalf which are based around the world, including in countries outside of the EEA and Switzerland which may have different data protection standards to those which apply to your country of residence. You can click here to see a list of countries where we may access or transfer your personal information. Where your personal information is transferred from Japan (and subject to Japanese privacy laws), you hereby agree to the transfer of your personal information to Yext, Inc., Yext affiliates and service providers located in the countries listed in Section 7.
Yext, Inc. participates in and has certified its compliance with the EU-US Privacy Shield and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield frameworks regarding the collection, use and onward transfer of personal data from the EEA and Switzerland. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Framework, visit the US Department of Commerce’s website (www.privacyshield.gov). To learn more about Yext, Inc.’s participation in the Privacy Shield Framework, please see our Privacy Shield Notice here for further information).
Where your personal information is transferred outside of the EEA and Switzerland, and where this is to an affiliate or service provider in a country which is not subject to an adequacy decision by the EU Commission, we will take steps to ensure your personal information is adequately protected either by EU Commission approved Standard Contractual Clauses, Binding Corporate Rules, or in the case of transfers to the US based affiliate Yext, Inc., its self-certification to Privacy Shield. A copy of the relevant mechanism can be obtained for your review on request by using the contact details in Section 7.
5. WITHDRAWING CONSENT OR OTHERWISE OBJECTING TO YEXT’S DIRECT MARKETING
Where we rely on consent, you will always be able to withdraw that consent, although we may have other legal grounds for processing your data for other purposes, such as those set out above in Section 3. You have the absolute right to opt out of our direct marketing at any time, and EEA individuals can also opt out of profiling we carry out for direct marketing at any time. To stop receiving newsletters or marketing communications from us, you can use the unsubscribe mechanism in the relevant communication or you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with information necessary to process your request. Please note that this will not stop you from receiving service related messages (i.e., non-marketing communications) such as email messages to let you know our service has been suspended for maintenance.
6. EEA DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
If you are an individual located in the EEA, you have the right to ask us for a copy of your personal data, to correct, delete or restrict processing of your personal data, to obtain the personal data you provide to us in a structured, machine readable format, and to ask us to share (port) this data to another controller. In addition, you can object to the processing of your personal data in some circumstances (in particular, where we are not required to process such data in order to meet a contractual or other legal requirement).
We have carried out balancing tests for all the data processing we carry out on the basis of our legitimate interests which we have described above. You can obtain information on any of our balancing tests by contacting us using the details below.
These rights may be limited, for example if fulfilling your request would reveal personal data about another person, or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping. Relevant exemptions are set out in applicable data protection laws. We will inform you of the relevant exemptions we rely upon when responding to any request you make.
To exercise any of these rights, please email email@example.com with the information necessary for us to process your request. If you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to complain to an EU data protection authority where you live, work or where you believe a breach may have occurred.
If you deactivate your account, we will delete, block or anonymize your personal information so that it is no longer possible to identify you, subject to our retention policy below.
If you have provided a location review to one of our customers, please contact that customer directly if you have any questions about their privacy practices or wish to stop receiving communications from or exercise your rights in respect of personal data processed by that customer.
7. CALIFORNIA PRIVACY NOTICE
If you are a California resident, this section contains disclosures required by the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and applies only to “personal information” that is subject to the CCPA. This section does not cover personal information about End Users of our customers, which we process solely on behalf of customers.
Currently, personal information about our current and former business customers is exempt from most CCPA obligations. We do not and will not sell personal information about our business customers, former customers, or business (marketing) prospects.
We provide our business prospects with additional disclosures and rights under the CCPA. The remainder of this section provides additional information for our business prospects.
Accessibility. Consumers with disabilities may access this notice by using a standard screen reader.
California Personal Information We Collect and Disclose. We collect the categories of personal information listed in the below chart about California residents who are our business prospects. As further set forth in the chart below, in the past 12 months, we have disclosed such California residents’ personal information to third parties for the listed business or commercial purposes. We do not and will not sell such personal information.
|Categories of Personal Information||Collected in the last 12 months:||Categories of sources from which information is collected:||Business or commercial purposes for collection, use, and sharing:||Disclosed for business purposes to the following categories of third parties:|
|Personal and online identifiers (such as first and last name, email address, or unique online identifiers)||Yes||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Internet or other electronic network activity information (such as interactions with our Sites, emails, applications, and/or advertisements)||Yes||Individuals, when you provide it to us directly or by using our Sites.||All purposes listed below.||Service providers.|
|Biometric information (specifically call recordings)||Yes||Service providers.||All purposes listed below.||Service providers.|
|Professional or employment-related information||Yes||All categories listed below.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Inferences drawn from the above information about your predicted characteristics and preferences||Yes||Generated by Yext.||All purposes listed below.||All categories listed below.|
|Other information about you that is linked to the personal information above||Yes||Individuals, when you provide it to us directly or by using our Sites.||Our business purposes as identified in the CCPA.||All categories listed below.|
Categories of Sources. We collect this personal information from the following categories of sources:
- Individuals, when you provide it to us directly or by using our Sites;
- Service providers;
- Partners that are authorized to resell Yext services;
- Event organizers of events you register to attend; and
- Commercial data resellers.
- Our commercial purposes, including advertising and marketing to you, and enabling commercial transactions with you.
- Our business purposes as identified in the CCPA, which include:
- Auditing related to our interactions with you;
- Legal compliance;
- Detecting and protecting against security incidents, fraud, and illegal activity;
- Performing services (for us or our service provider) such as account servicing, processing orders and payments, and analytics;
- Internal research for technological improvement;
- Internal operations;
- Activities to maintain and improve our services; and
- Other one-time uses.
Recipients of California Personal Information. We disclose the categories of personal information designated above to the categories of third parties listed below for business purposes:
- Service providers, including internet service providers, data analytics providers, and operating systems and platform providers; and
- Partners that are authorized to resell Yext services;
Your Rights Regarding Personal Information. California residents have certain rights with respect to the personal information collected by businesses. If you are a California resident, you may exercise the following rights regarding your personal information, subject to certain exceptions and limitations:
- The right to know the categories and specific pieces of personal information we collect, use, disclose, and sell about you, the categories of sources from which we collected your personal information, our purposes for collecting or selling your personal information, the categories of your personal information that we have either sold or disclosed for a business purpose, and the categories of third parties with which we have shared personal information;
- The right to request that we delete the personal information we have collected from you or maintain about you.
- The right to opt out of our sale(s) of your personal information. We do not and will not sell your personal information in any manner that requires an opt-out opportunity under the CCPA.
- The right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA.
To exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the following information and submit the required verifying information, as further described below:
- Online at this link
- By phone at: 1-888-444-2988
Verification Process and Required Information. Note that we may need to request additional information from you to verify your identity or understand the scope of your request, although you will not be required to create an account with us to submit a request or have it fulfilled. We will require you to provide, at a minimum, your name, business email address, and business phone number. Please see the online form for details.
Authorized Agent. You may designate an authorized agent to make a CCPA request on your behalf by submitting a written, signed permission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the online form for details.
Minors. We do not sell the personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
Social Media Widgets. Our Sites include buttons that allow you to share content on the Sites through services provided by Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are social media networks not affiliated with Yext. They are headquartered at the following addresses:
Facebook: 1 Hacker Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Twitter: 1355 Market Street, Suite 900, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
LinkedIn: 2029 Stierlin Court, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
When you use the Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn share buttons, your device will access their respective webpages and, therefore, your data will be sent to the party associated with that share button and such party may also know that you visited our Site. Further information on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn’s collection, use and disclosure of your personal information can be found in their respective privacy policies which can be accessed on their respective webpages.
Security. We take commercially reasonable steps to protect personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. However, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from a Site may not be secure, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any personal information to us or to any other party via the Internet. When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms or login credentials (such as username and password) on our platform login, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
Retention. We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or longer if needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or enforce our agreements. For more information on our retention periods you can contact email@example.com.
Minors. Visitors under 16 years of age are not permitted to use and/or submit their personal information on any Site. We do not knowingly solicit or collect information from visitors under 16 years of age. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time online with their children and to participate and monitor the interactive activities of their children.
1 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10010
United States of America
Yext, Inc.’s European representative:
Yext SAS (see address below)
All other activities (both online and offline)
|Yext (Canada) Corp.
160 Elgin Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 1C3
12 Golden Square
London W1F 9JE
Kantstraße 164, 30. Stock
cc: Yext GmbH External Data Protection Officer
Attorney at Law Dr. Karsten Kinast, LL.M
KINAST Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
c/o Genint SA
rue Jean-Calvin 12
|Responsible for processing orders and invoicing and (with your consent, where required) providing information about other Yext products and services that may be of interest.|
33 Rue la Fayette
Ginsen Shimbashi Bldg. II, 8F
5-1-9, Shimbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Under the Act on the Protection of Personal Information in Japan, Yext KK is a business operator handling personal information obtained through Yext.co.jp or all other activities (both online and offline) in Japan and is primarily responsible for management of such personal information.